Section 8 (HCV) FAQ’S

Q:  What are Housing Choice Vouchers?

A:  Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies(PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program. A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program.

Q:  Am I eligible for Section 8?

A:  Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the PHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. If the PHA determines that your family is eligible, the PHA will put your name on a waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the PHA will contact you for a briefing to issue your housing voucher.

Q:  What type of background check is required to apply for Section 8?

A:  FHA will run a 5-year check of your criminal history, rent history, rent terminations and debts owed.

Q:  Do I qualify with a criminal record?

A: Anyone on the Registered Sex Offenders List is prohibited from living in Public Housing. Having a criminal record may make it difficult for a person to receive housing, but it does not automatically disqualify them.

350 Sycamore, Fulton, MO 65251
Phone: (573) 642-7611
Fax: (573) 642-4260
Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM