FHA History

FHA

The idea of public housing for Fulton came from the late Mayor J. Frank Hensley. Mayor Hensley attended a meeting of mayors in Jefferson City in early 1959. One of the sessions was on public housing. Hensley returned to Fulton enthusiastic about the possibility of something being done to clear some blighted areas and to use that land for constructing simple but efficient and attractive housing units for low-income families.

The next step was to process certified copies of a petition signed by at least fifty taxpayers of Fulton, and requesting the City Council to order that a housing authority be created. The City Council approved the request, and authorized Mayor Hensley to nominate five commissioners to constitute the Housing Authority of the City of Fulton, Missouri. The first meeting of the Board of Commissioners was held May 7, 1959. That date is regarded as the official beginning of the Housing Authority of the City of Fulton, Missouri.

The first unit was ready for occupancy on December 23, 1963. By 1964, site A (Pioneer Drive) and site C (Walnut/Green Streets) were complete and occupied. Next, 8 units on W. 8th and 8 units on North Westminster Avenue were developed.

By 1966, 74 public housing units were complete. By 1972, site E (Westminster Avenue) and site F (Sycamore Street) were complete. And in 1981, the final 26 units were built on Bluff Street, Lynn Street, and King Street. The Housing Authority also built the Community Center in 1971 and the Fulton Day Care Center in 1979.

In 1975, Section 8: Existing Housing Assistance Payments Program (HAPP) was begun by the Fulton Housing Authority. It was a program under which owners of private houses could rent to low income families, with the tenants paying 25% (later raised to 30%) of his or her income, and the federal government paying the difference between what the tenant paid and the cost of a similar residence in the same neighborhood.

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save